Saturday, July 31, 2010

Vision vs. Reality

This is was my garden plan.
It's a square foot garden, each 2x2 square its own box.
This is what my actual garden looks like:
As you can see, there's a lot of unused space (all the white). They're all laid out in a row, like this:
The numbers on the actual chart refer to the boxes, the closest one being the first, and then
ascending from there. The taller plants (mainly the borage in the front box) look battered because of the heavy rainfall this afternoon. They'll stand up straight soon.
Here's a cameo of the current garden and its offerings:

borage and strawberries:
borage flowers:
strawberries - notice the wee white spider.
She lived in my strawberries for most of the season and kept the bad bugs at bay.
red onions and carrots:
celery (with one rogue stalk), parsley and red onions:
rogue celery stalk flowers:
mint and chamomile:
chamomile cameo:
And our 2nd carrot, with some mint leaves:
Hopefully our garden will produce more produce, (ha ha), but it's good for a first time garden. I know more about when to plant things and when to start them inside, so next year I should be more organized. Also, I'll know how much room to give the uncommon things, like borage. I think they'll get their own plot. :) Also, because of the volcano it was unseasonally cold much later in the year. We had weekly snow until June. And we may have an early, colder winter. But I still am going to try to have a winter garden, even if it's just a small greenhouse. :)

1 comment:

  1. I love the pics , it adds so much to the blog. peas and spinach are cold loving plants. may have to cover the spinach a little with straw. Broccoli,cabbage,beets,collards,& carrots should all keep doing well for you until end of mid nov. If you plant now that is a 3 month grow time. Would you like me to bring you some straw?

    ReplyDelete