Thursday, December 9, 2010

December Evenings

1. Debating whether or not to plant borage again this spring. It was great with the strawberries and tomatoes, but really prickly and hard to work with. Maybe now I know what to expect I'll do more with the flowers and young leaves this time. Apparently they're both edible, so maybe in salads?

2. Am joining the Utah Master Gardner class starting in January. Although I wish they had sections on companion planting and winter gardening. But they don't. Maybe I could change that?

3. Pulled up the last of the onions and some carrots today. I have some leftover roast chicken, so into the pot with them all! At least they won't go to waste like a lot of the garden veggies this summer. I'm still getting used to using the produce I have.

4. Plants I'm trying to over-winter: strawberries (covered in straw); carrots (covered in dirt, (except for the foliage), and straw); two tiny onions, self-sown chamomile, parsley, oregano, thyme and peppermint (all covered in dirt). Eventually they will all be covered with straw. Also, my lavender is still out in its pot. It's drying, so I think I'll pull it in soon.

5. It's snowed a few times this year - lots of snow. But my boxes are still easy to work with and the dirt is not frozen after a couple days of sun, even though it's still cold.

6. Just re-read the post about the greenhouse. It's still a possibility, although I'm waiting on plans from my sister's landlord. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment